Sunday, February 7, 2010

Authentic Souls





My passion for photography originates in the overwhelming longing and admiration I feel for that which is authentic in life. It's quite difficult to experience this in an adult as their authenticity has been buried under layers of years and fears. What we get from other people is mostly a facade, especially when you put a camera in front of them. There is a certain anxiety most of us seem to feel as we hear that shutter open and close....what imperfection could be immortalized? What might I show that I'd rather keep a secret?

The rarity of authenticity is what drives my passion to uncover the truth, the beauty of life and the sacredness of all that is real. It's difficult to capture this in adults, although it's possible when they are lost in something they feel passionate about. But it's utterly palpable in children, which is why they are some of my favorite subjects. Their emotions are incredibly raw, their comfort in themselves is extraordinary and their energy is magnetic. They embody authenticity.

~Lola Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment