Thursday, September 3, 2009

Give me that sage wisdom


Before I repainted the inside of my apartment in San Francisco, I inscribed the things I wanted to invite into my life and home on the walls before lathering the sheetrock with fresh colors that soothed my soul. It was my way of clearing out the relationship that had unfolded poorly within those walls in the years before, it was my way of replacing toxic emotions with those that truly represent me…..love, health, wisdom, happiness. When I was finished painting, I cleansed each room, each doorway, each place that had been a former battleground, by burning sage and allowing the past to evaporate with the smoke. I set up a meditation alter, I placed my Buddha collection strategically around my home. And suddenly, I could breathe.

These practices may not be grounded in science, they may be ridiculed or not understood as a way to recreate one’s life, but those opinions are completely irrelevant to me. In order for them to work, they only need to be meaningful to me—I simply honored my pocket of space in the universe and chose not to believe it was pure coincidence that I then invited into my life all the things I set out to. I don’t think what we believe in is as important as simply possessing a belief. The rituals I used are not unlike any other ritual, they are simply vehicles to harness the power we inherently possess.

~Lola Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment